Friday, July 25, 2008

iWant


A sad thing happened a little over a week ago. My beloved iPhone died an untimely (and ugly) death. Long story short, iPhones and saltwater DO NOT MIX!! But I think the saddest thing about the whole mess has been the realization of just how dependent I had become on a stupid phone! (I'm sorry, iPhone, for calling you stupid. You were SO much more than just a phone) But seriously, the first few days without it, I just felt completely lost. And very isolated. We were staying at a beach house for the week, and there was no land phone and no internet access. When Lee left every morning to commute to Fairhope for work, I felt like I had stepped into pioneer days. What if I needed to get in touch with him? What if we had car trouble driving over to the beach? What if we saw some amazing marine life that we needed to tell him about? What if one of the kids said something really funny that he should hear? What if.......? And the email, texts, camera, and applications? (or rather, the lack thereof) Don't even get me started. I somehow managed, though, to survive those hours during the day. Who knew you could have a really fun day just playing in the pool with your children? I joke. Of course I knew that. But don't think for a second that those children weren't missing my iPhone, too. No TapTap Revenge, no Match Game, no Bubble Wrap, no strobe lighty/flashlighty thing. But, we swam, we built sandcastles, we laughed, we worked puzzles, and they somehow survived, too. Poor Lee, though. He had to brace himself for the barrage of words that hit him full-force when he walked through the door each evening. We all had a LOT to say. But even he said just how strange it was to know that he couldn't reach me during the day. Awww, he missed talking to me, too!

So. Now I've gotten so used to the isolation that I will never have a phone again, right? Not so much. The trouble now is that Apple seriously underestimated the demand for the newest iPhone model. (Oh yeah, if you're going to drown your iPhone, it's really cool that the newer model is not only faster, but also cheaper!! Thank you, Lord.) Our Fairhope AT&T store was fresh out. Knowing that we would be spending this week in Nashville, we thought, "well, we'll just run over to the Apple Store and pick one up." Not quite as easy as it sounds here either. Apparently, most of the stores get daily shipments, but they are sold first-come/first-serve, so they are selling out again very quickly. My sweet Lee saw online last night that the Green Hills store would have a supply this morning, so he offered to head that way after his breakfast meeting.

iLove my husband!

Mel

No comments: