Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Last Shall be First (Grade)

Well, it's "Milestone Eve" here at the Black house. Tomorrow, our baby girl, Anabel, will enter First Grade. Is she ready? Oh yes. Am I? Well...... yes...... and no.
I'm so ready for her to join the ranks of the "big kids" as she calls her brothers and sister. She's been looking forward to this day for so long and I'm celebrating with her for that. But still, there is a part of my heart that realizes that this is her first step in a walk that will eventually take her away from us and that makes me teary-eyed. As I've thought back today over the blur that has been her first 6 years, I've realized again just how short a time we have them and how quickly it flies. It's a tremendous responsibility, but I'm so grateful for the opportunity. Here's my prayer for our four blessings:

It's only for a moment you are mine to hold 
The plans that heaven has for you 
Will all too soon unfold 
So many different prayers I'll pray 
For all that you might do 
But most of all I'll want to know 
You're walking in the truth 
And If I never told you 
I want you to know 
As I watch you grow 

I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams 
And that faith gives you the courage 
To dare to do great things 
I'm here for you whatever this life brings 
So let my love give you roots 
And help you find your wings 

May passion be the wind 
That leads you through your days 
And may conviction keep you strong 
Guide you on your way 
May there be many moments 
That make your life so sweet 
Oh, but more than memories 

It's not living if you don't reach for the sky 
I'll have tears as you take off 
But I'll cheer as you fly 


(TonyWood/Mark Harris)

No comments: